Town Notice on Catering and Portable Toilets
Posted on Thursday, August 03 @ 10:31:07 EDT by tchadmin
Contributed by tchadmin

Message to All from your local Board of Health Ė

We know that Summer and Fall are a popular time for catered events. We also know that it is important that you and your guests have the best possible experience and we are here to help.

Caterers are licensed in Massachusetts. If you are choosing to have an event catered, please understand that they must be licensed in the town where they prepare the food and they are required to notify the local Board of Health where they will be serving the food Ė whether they are providing the servers or simply supplying the food.

In Mount Washington, this is a simple and very inexpensive ($15.00 per event for non-resident caterers) process. Simply have the caterer notify the Board of Health by email and we will respond right away to make sure that they have their license in order. If they are not from Massachusetts, we will accept a license from New York or Connecticut without further documentation. We will make sure we have the appropriate contact information and that they understand their responsibilities to provide safe food.

If someone is not being paid to produce or provide the food, they do not need to be licensed. If you have a caterer who tells you that they donít need to register or that they donít need a license in their town, they are mis-informed. Any licensed and reputable caterer will not hesitate to contact us.

This is also a good time to remind you that, if you need to have portable toilets at an event, they also must be supplied by a licensed septic hauler and you will need to file with the Board of Health for a permit for their use. We recommend that portable toilets be used for large parties as your septic system will be seriously taxed by over use.

Questions?? Please contact us at

Thank you.

Printer Friendly Page  Send this Story to a Friend